News and Upcoming Events
- Sunday July 29. Guest Preacher: Rev. Tracy Barnowe is an ordained UCC Minister and church growth specialist. A recent transplant from the San Francisco Bay Area, she has served churches in Campbell and San Rafael, California. After 20 years of growing, teaching, and consulting with churches on growth, she recently launched a progressive church growth website and blog: com.
- Pastor Terry will be on vacation this week, visiting family in the Bay Area.
- Sunday August 5: Potluck after worship! Guest Preacher: Rev. Felix Villanueva, UCC Southern California Nevada Conference.
- Sunday August 5: First Food Sunday. Bring food to worship for Brea residents in need. Typically needed to supplement bulk food supplies: canned fruit, healthy lunch snacks, jams and jellies, oatmeal, easy-open foods for people without kitchen access.
- Thursday August 9: Art and Soul. 2:30-4:30 pm in the church hall. Come feed your soul with art. Bring your favorite (easily portable) art supplies if you like, or use ours. We will have a short meditation, then work and play, together or independently, on a project. Also, share ideas for future arts at BCUCC! Teens and adults welcome.
- Wednesday August 15, 6:30 pm: Join your church friends for a Big Band Concert in the Park. At Brea City Hall Park, 401 S. Brea Blvd. Stay tuned for details.
- Friday August 17: YAYA’s Movie Night—with food, games and more. Stay tuned for details!
- CC’C Learning Center, the Preschool who shares our campus, is looking for preschool teachers who have taken the four core early childhood classes. If you know somebody who might be interested, let them know! (714) 671-6970.
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15am in the church office. We may take days off in the summer; RSVP to Pastor Terry if you’re not a regular to be sure we’re meeting. (We are not meeting 8/2) Topic is 2 Samuel (King David). All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- This summer, The BCUCC Theological Book Clubwill be reading, Tattoos on the Heart, The Power of Boundless Compassion, by Gregory Boyle. This moving and delightful book is about kinship and the sacredness of life, about meeting the world with a loving heart, overcoming shame, and staying faithful in spite of failure. Come join us to discuss the rest of the book on August 1st. We meet at 7:00p.m. at the home of Karen and Jim Hill. For directions, please call 714-693-0261, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Share the message! Sermons are online in both video and print form on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/56642580963/.
- A directory of church members and friends is available by request on paper or as a PDF file. For privacy of participants, we do not leave it in the church entry; sorry for that inconvenience!
PURPOSE, VISION, & MISSION
of The United Church of Christ
The purpose statement from the Gospel of Matthew:
To love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength
and our neighbor as ourselves.
United in Christ’s love, a just world for all.
The mission statement:
United in Spirit and inspired by God’s grace, we welcome all, love all, and seek justice for all.
Creation Care Tip: Drive the gas-efficient car! (If your family has more than one.) Buy the gas-efficient car. Also, advocate, dream and experiment with a less car-dependent lifestyle—that’s a challenge in California, and needed.