News and Upcoming Events
- Hymn Sing starting at 9:50am continues through Labor Day weekend, user’s choice!
- Sunday August 19: Worship 10am. Bible reading: Psalm 98. Theme: Why We Worship. Special Music: Francie Quaas-Berryman has a song with a story for you.
- Tuesday August 21: Church Council meets at 7pm in Joshua Tree room.
- Sunday August 26: Worship 10am. Theme: Feet on the Ground. Community Voices: Nora Jacob shares her work of Restorative Justice. Rev. Nora Jacob is an ordained Disciples of Christ pastor serving as Restorative Justice Minister at UrbanMission (UCC/DOC), a fresh expression of 21st-century church in south Pomona since 2013. She is also a co-founder and Restorative Justice Director of the related non-profit organization, UrbanMission Community Partners (UMCP).
- Monday August 27: Evening cardio and martial arts classes start! In Sequoia Hall; teens to elders are welcome. Free to church members! Low Impact Cardio class 6:45pm-7:15pm; Martial Arts class 7:30pm-9pm. Wear tennis shoes and comfortable workout clothes!
- Thursday August 30: Choir starts again; practice at 7:30pm. Beginners and newcomers welcome! Our Music Director Jessica Cosley can tell you more.
- Thursday August 30: Tai Chi starts again, 6:30-7:15pm pm in the sanctuary.
- Saturday Sept. 1: YAYA’s Bubble Run. Some crazy fun! Talk to Bryan Wake for details.
- Thursday Sept. 6: “Art and Soul” 2-4 pm. Back by popular demand! A little spirituality, a little conversation, and a lot of space to create; no skill necessary. Bring your favorite art or craft project, extra supplies if you want to share, or borrow ours. We will have coloring and doodling as prayer. Last time we also had origami and collage… join us!
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15am in the church office. We may take days off in the summer; RSVP to Pastor Terry if you’re not a regular to be sure we’re meeting. All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- The BCUCC Theological Book Clubwill be reading, Falling Upward, by Richard Rohr. In this book, Father Rohr offers a new paradigm for understanding one of the most profound of life’s mysteries, how our failings can be the foundation for our ongoing spiritual growth. We will meet at 7:00p.m. on Wed 8/29 to discuss Chapters 7-13. We gather at the home of the Hills; please call or email Jim and Karen for directions at 714-693-0261 or email@example.com and join our conversation.
- Thursdays 6:30- Tai Chi with Karen Hill- a gentle and meditative movement. We meet in the sanctuary. Starts August 30, continues through September, except September 13. Karen Hill will guide us in this gentle meditative movement: restorative for body and soul. All ages welcome. Wear comfortable stretchable clothing; layers so you can be a comfortable temperature.
“Everyday Peacemaking” Compassionate Communication practice groups will continue on a monthly basis: Tuesday mornings 10-11:30am in the church office, 8/28* and 9/18. Tuesday evenings 7-8:30pm in the Hall, 8/28 and 9/25. Practice speaking your truth in love, and listening from the heart. No experience necessary. (*Note date change.)
The heart of most spiritual practices is simply this:
Remember who you are. Remember what you love. Remember what is sacred.
Remember what is true. Remember that you will die and that this day is a gift.
Remember how you wish to live.
– Wayne Mueller
Creation Care Tip: Carpool… to work, school, church, events… not only will you save gas, you’ll gain companionship.