News and Upcoming Events
· We Have A Pastoral Candidate!
Your Pastor Search Committee is delighted to unanimously and enthusiastically recommend a candidate. Council has unanimously approved the recommendation, and the candidate will be preaching at our church August 11. Mark your calendars for a Congregational Meeting on August 11 following the service. Details to follow in a letter from the Search Committee. Our deep gratitude to the Pastor Search Committee for their prayerful persistence! The candidate has requested we keep their identity and location confidential until the call is final and they have told their congregation. Please honor this request; you will have a chance to meet the candidate and learn about them the weekend of August 11.
· Sunday August 4: Worship at 10am. First Food Sunday. Theme: “Enough”. Scripture: Luke 12:13-21. We celebrate communion in worship, share a potluck lunch afterwards, and bring food for the Brea food shelf.
· August 11: Congregational Meeting to vote on our next Pastor. The candidate has requested we keep their identity and location confidential until the call is final and they have told their congregation. Please honor this request; you will have a chance to meet the candidate and learn about them the weekend of August 11.
· Tuesday August 13: Lunch Bunch, 11:45am at Coco’s at Imperial and State College. Just fellowship with church friends. RSVP to Pastor Terry so we can save you a seat.
· Sunday, August 18: Please join us for a thank you and farewell reception for Pastor Terry LePage on Sunday, August 18. The reception will be in the church hall immediately following the worship service. Our theme is Garden Party! If you have a potted plant (especially succulents and native plants) that you can bring for the day, we will decorate the hall with them.
· Sunday, August 25: Family Promise Shelter Training after worship. Cyndee Alpertson, director of Family Promise, will present an orientation and
· September 1-8: Family Promise Shelter in Hall (4 families hosted) Volunteers needed: see Ann Marshall or Carol This for signups. We are excited to restart our homeless ministry with Family Promise!
· Sunday, September 15: Environmental Movie, 4 pm. “Happening: A Green Energy Revolution.”
· Our Rainbow of Creativity: Through the summer, members and friends of the church will share their creativity with us through the arts and music. Thanks to all who have shared in this very personal way!
· Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. Ring the bell at the gate on Flower Street. We are studying the Book of Jeremiah. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework! *During the summer, we may cancel Bible Study on weeks when regulars are traveling. Call, email or text Pastor Terry if you’re not sure.· For our summer read, the BCUCC Theological Book Club chose a novel, The Overstory, by Richard Powers. Inspired by the Redwood trees, Powers writes an impassioned work of activism and resistance that is, also, a stunning paean to the natural world. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. Come join the discussion Wednesday at 7pm on August 21st at the Hill household.