News and Upcoming Events
· Sunday, July 21: Worship at 10am. Theme: “Paying Attention.” Scripture: Luke 10:38-42.
· Sunday, July 28, after worship: Goodbye and Thank You to Kathryn Kadletz. Kathryn will be moving to Colorado in early August. She and the church have journeyed together for about twenty years, and she has been our lead Sunday School teacher. Sharon Everley is coordinating a salad buffet (Items currently provided: salad bar, lemonade, bread). —please let her know if you’d like to bring a salad or dessert. Blessings to Kathryn Kadletz on her new adventure! She will be sorely missed.
Mark your Calendar:
· Sunday August 4: First Food Sunday. We celebrate communion in worship, share a potluck lunch afterwards, and bring food for the Brea food shelf.
· Tuesday August 13: Lunch Bunch, 11:45am at Coco’s at Imperial and State College.
· Sunday, August 25: Family Promise Shelter Training after worship.
· September 1-8: Family Promise Shelter in Hall (3 families hosted.) More details below!
· Sunday, September 15: Environmental Movie in late afternoon “Happening: A Green Energy Revolution.”
· Our Rainbow of Creativity: Through the summer, members and friends of the church will share their creativity with us through the arts and music. Thanks to all who have shared in this very personal way!
· Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. Ring the bell at the gate on Flower Street. We are studying the Book of Jeremiah. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework! *During the summer, we may cancel Bible Study on weeks when regulars are traveling. Call, email or text Pastor Terry if you’re not sure.
· For our summer read, the BCUCC Theological Book Club chose a novel, The Overstory, by Richard Powers. Inspired by the Redwood trees, Powers writes an impassioned work of activism and resistance that is, also, a stunning paean to the natural world. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. Come join the discussion. We will meet Wednesday at 7pm on July 24 for chapters 7-9, August 7 for chapter 10, and August 21 for chapters 11-12. For directions please contact the church.
Brea UCC will be replacing our ISN program with Family Promise. Rotating with about 20 other Orange County churches, we will open our facility to provide short-term emergency shelter to families. The director will give a brief introduction to the program during worship on Sunday August 11, 2019 and a training for the church volunteers immediately after the service on Sunday, August 25. We will not only have the opportunity to provide meals, we will need overnight volunteers, and can also offer tutoring and craft activities for the children. See Ann Marshall for more information, and look for literature on the entry table.