News and Upcoming Events
- Sunday, June 24 Worship Topic: Bad News, Good News. Bible reading: Romans 12:9-21. Special music by singer Angelica Rowell. Angelica Rowell is a singer, actress, and creative storyteller from the Bay Area. She graduated from the University of California, Irvine in the Spring of 2018 with a Bachelors of Music in Vocal Performance and a Bachelors of Arts in Drama. When she is not busy in rehearsal or writing; Angelica enjoys trips to Disneyland, binge-watching TV shows, and cooking. Credits: Potts (Beauty & the Beast), Elizabeth Bennet (Pride & Prejudice), Sorceress (Dido & Aeneas), Comb Your Hair or You’ll Look Like a Slave, Mrs. Packard, Evita.
- May 19- June 30: Interfaith Shelter Network uses our Sequoia Hall. Check with Sharon Everley or Ann Marshall if you’d like to support the program.
- Sunday July 1: Sunday July 1: First Food Sunday! Bring food for A.C.T. food shelf.
Potluck after Congregational Meeting.
- Sunday July 1: Congregational Meeting after worship. Nonmembers are encouraged to join us, and have voice, but not vote. We will vote on the 2018-2019 budget, approve the Church’s Profile (resumé), vote on two small bylaws changes, and take written nominations for the Pastor Search Committee. Please access the documents for this meeting; the Profile (http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BCUCC-profile-nopics.pdf) and Bylaws updates (http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2018-Motions-for-Congregational-Meeting.pdf)
- Summer music and arts: This year’s theme is “Almost Anything Goes”! Dust off that guitar, warm up those vocal cords, pick up your poems and paintings, or grab your friends to share a talent or skill with the congregation. Don’t be shy – feel free to talk to Jessica our Music Director about your ideas and she’ll be happy to sign you up for a Sunday (during the normal choir anthem spot). She is here to support you and your dream in any way she can!
- Sundays starting July 8: Sing Your Favorites! Come early to worship to sing some of your favorite songs and hymns. Starts at 9:50.
Starts in July: Everyday Peacemaking: Compassionate Communication: Tuesday nights and Thursday mornings. Learn tools to speak your truth respectfully and listen empathetically. Jesus said “do not judge” and “Love Your Neighbor”; here are concrete steps you can use to transform judgment and build relationship. Real life examples; community members welcome.
- Mark your Calendars:
Friday August 17: YAYA’s Movie Night.
Saturday Sept. 1: YAYA’s Bubble Run.
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15am in the church office. We may take days off in the summer; RSVP to Pastor Terry if you’re not a regular to be sure we’re meeting. Topic is 2 Samuel. All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- This summer, The BCUCC Theological Book Clubwill be reading, Tattoos on the Heart, The Power of Boundless Compassion, by Gregory Boyle. This moving and delightful book is about kinship and the sacredness of life, about meeting the world with a loving heart, overcoming shame, and staying faithful in spite of failure. Come join us to discuss Chapters 1-4 on Wednesday, July 11th, and the rest of the book on August 1st. We meet at 7:00p.m. at the home of Karen and Jim Hill. For directions, please call 714-693-0261, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
-Rev. Martin Neimöller