http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png 0 0 Brea Congregational UCC http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png Brea Congregational UCC2018-03-23 15:48:012018-03-23 15:48:01BCUCC News for Sunday, March 25, 2018
News and Upcoming Events
- We have completely redone our church directory! This will be distributed only by request to active participants. Do you have any updated contact information you wish to share? Do you wish to have some of your info unlisted? Please phone or email the office.
- Thank you to all who donated to One Great Hour of Sharing. Our gifts totaled $1385!! This UCC offering supports emergency aid and locally-directed mission projects all over the world.
- Sun. March 25: Palm Sunday. Theme: “Untold Gospel” Bible Reading: Mark 14:1-10.
- Sun. March 25 after worship: It’s Your Turn to talk! Discuss a sermon, ask a question, ponder a current event or topic. Or just stop by and listen. Pastor Terry will be at a table in the Fellowship Hall with coffee in hand awaiting your input 15 minutes after worship ends.
- No Thursday Bible Study this week.
- Tai Chi is Thursday, March 29 at 6:30pm in the sanctuary.
- Friday March 30, 7:30 pm: Tenebrae Service of Remembrance on Good Friday. Tenebrae means “Darkness.” Songs and readings as candles are extinguished, followed by Communion.
- Sunday April 1: Easter Sunday. We invite you to bring family, friends, and flowers for our Flower Cross. Trumpet will accompany our festive music. This will also be First Food Sunday! (Bring donations for A.C.T. food shelf in Brea; we will collect them in worship.) Refreshments and Easter Egg Hunt (for people 12 and younger) after worship.
- Sunday April 8, after church: Heritage Sunday. Potluck, exploring a timeline of our church’s 105-year history, and conversation about what we treasure and what we want to bring into our future. This event is hosted by our Transition Team.
- Sunday April 29, after church: What We Value. Potluck (yes, they’re off sequence from First Sundays for now) with activities and table discussions to clarify what we value at BCUCC and in pastoral leadership, led by the Transition Team.
- Puerto Rico Ministries Join us on Thursday, April 5th for a unique opportunity to hear the news of the Puerto Rican disaster and recovery by Rev. Daphne M. Salcedo, a Disciples of Christ pastor from the island. The Global Ministries Committee UCC/DOC and Church of the Foothills (UCC/DOC) will host the evening event on Thursday, April 5th at 7:00pm at 19211 Dodge Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92705.
- Sunday April 22, 6pm: Candidate Forum hosted by Citizen’s Climate Lobby in our Hall. The 39th congressional district is hotly contested. Hear candidates address the important issue of climate change. All candidates are invited. Tell your neighbors! Help for hosting appreciated: talk to Dennis Arp. You are probably in the 39th, which includes: Fullerton, La Habra, La Habra Heights, Brea, Buena Park, Anaheim Hills, Placentia, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, Hacienda Heights and Rowland Heights
- The musical Godspell by Craig Tyrl’s company The Wayward Artist is playing in Santa Ana April 13-29. Tickets are at: http://www.thewaywardartist.org/buy-tickets-4567.
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club: For a change of pace, we will be reading a book of fiction that shows theology through creative transformation and the persuasive power of God. The book is Augustown by Kei Miller. Augustown, set in the backlands of Jamaica, is a magical and haunting novel of one woman’s struggle to rise above the brutal vicissitudes of history, race, class, collective memory, violence, and myth. We will finish the novel for the next meeting on March 28. We meet at 7:00pm at the home of Karen and Jim Hill. Light refreshments are provided. Please phone or email for directions at 714-693-0261 or email@example.com. Looking forward to a lively discussion together. See you there.
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15 in the church office. Topic is 1-2 Samuel. All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- Tai Chi is most Thursdays at 6:30pm in the sanctuary. Enjoy this gentle meditative movement. Thursdays in April except the 25th.
- Choir practice on Thursdays at 7:30pm in the music room. We love newcomers! Give us a try.