http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png 0 0 Brea Congregational UCC http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png Brea Congregational UCC2018-05-18 18:04:572018-05-18 18:05:33BCUCC News for Sunday, May 20, 2018
News and Upcoming Events
- Sunday May 20: Pentecost Sunday. Scripture: Romans 8:22-25, Mark 4:26-34. Theme: Hope from Seeds and Weeds.
- It is traditional to wear RED on Pentecost to remember the Holy Spirit that came as flames on the first Pentecost.
- Flowers on the communion table are from Kathryn Kadletz, in honor of Harlen Matlock’s birthday, who would have been 95 this year.
- Eagle Scout Project support: Nick Wood is updating our Native Garden at the corner of Flower and Imperial with an arbor, and other improvements at the corner of Flower and Imperial for his Eagle Scout Project. He is requesting donations for this work. Please give donations to the church (or its financial officers) rather than Nick, with “Garden Project” in the memo line.) Our generosity, his energy and vision. Thank you Nick!
- Thursday May 24, 6:30 PM: Tai Chi in the sanctuary. This is the last Tai Chi of the season. Thanks to Karen Hill for sharing her gifts with us!
- May 19-June 8: We cook Interfaith Shelter Network dinner. (The ISN will be hosted in our hall through June 30). We need just a couple more cooks! Talk to Ann Marshall or Sharon Everley.
- UCC Annual Gathering June 1-2 at Chapman University. Learn, worship and have fun with people from UCC churches throughout SoCal and Nevada. You can register here: https://scncucc.churchcenter.com/registrations/events/128402
- Sunday June 3 after church: “Claiming Our Church’s Future” – The third and last Transition Team event. Learn how changing demographics and church size dynamics affect our church and how we can respond faithfully for the future.
- Sunday June 3, 6:45 pm to 8:30 pm: Fast with a Muslim. Join our Muslim friends at the Islamic Institute of Orange County for “Ramadan 101”, sunset prayer, and breaking the Ramadan fast. RSVP required. Fasting optional!
- UCC Summer Camps at Pilgrim Pines are taking registration! For 1st graders through 12th graders, weekly July 12-Aug. 5. “Big Feet Little Feet for children 3-7 with an adult companion is new the first week! http://www.pilgrimpinescamp.org/summercamp/2018SummerCampBrochure.pdf
- New church directories are available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a PDF version, or stop by the church office to get a copy.
- The Church Council has voted to begin a Media Lending Library. You are invited to donate books, DVDs, and CD’s that you think others might be interested in. The materials will go on the shelves in the hallway by the kitchen. Thank you for your participation!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading Catherine Keller’s book, On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process. The author offers this brief and unconventional introduction to theological thinking. She takes up theology itself as a quest for religious authenticity. Come join us. We have a great time processing our thoughts together. We will meet at 7:00p.m. on May 23rd to discuss Chapters 4 and 5, and again on June 6th to finish with Chapters 6-8. We meet at the Hill household. Please call or email for directions at 714-693-0261 or email@example.com.
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15am in the church office. Topic is 1-2 Samuel. All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- Tai Chi will be every Thursday in May except the last, May 31st. There will be no June meetings.
- Choir practice on Thursdays at 7:30pm in the music room. We love newcomers! Give us a try.
Creation Care Tip: Challenge yourself to use as little packaging as possible. Can you skip a produce bag? Can you buy the item with the least packaging?