News and Upcoming Events
- Thursday November 22: Happy Thanksgiving!!
- Sunday November 25:10am Worship. Bible reading: Mark 10:17-31. Theme: “Persistent Love.”
- Tues. Nov. 27: Everyday Peacemaking – Compassionate Communication at 10-11:30am and 7-8:30pm. Using real-world situations, learn to speak your truth in a way that respects others and builds trust. Topic: Principles of Effective Communication. In the church office (Enter through the gate on Flower Street.)
- Saturday Dec. 1 at 9 am: Hanging of the Greens. (Part 1) Help us decorate the sanctuary and hall! Bring your old clothes and your creativity.
- Sunday Dec. 2. Hanging of the Greens special worship service. Potluck after worship! All are welcome. Bring a dish to share. First Food Sunday. Bring food to worship for Brea residents in need. Typically needed to supplement bulk food supplies: canned fruit, healthy lunch snacks, jams and jellies, oatmeal, easy-open foods for people without kitchen access.
- Thanks to all who participated in our Interfaith Shelter Network Fall 4-week stay, which finishes Saturday. Special thanks to Ann Marshall and Carol This who coordinated food and logistics. This special ministry gives a small group of people private and friendly room and board while they put their lives together. Churches much larger than ours are in awe of what we accomplish. You make a difference!
- Holiday events upcoming: We are scheming fun events… stay tuned!
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Thursdays 6:30: Tai Chi. Karen will guide us in this gentle meditative movement: restorative for body and soul. All ages welcome. Wear comfortable stretchable clothing; layers so you can be a comfortable temperature. Scheduled Nov. 1, 15, 29.
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
Reminder: Has your Ralphs community card been updated? If not, Brian Wake can help you!
Neighbors in Need Special Mission Offering (NIN) of the United Church of Christ supports ministries of justice and compassion throughout the United States. We raised $763 last Sunday. An additional matching amount will be donated from memorial mission funds to Friends of Orange County Detainees. You may contribute today, too. (Make checks to BCUCC, put “NIN in the memo.) Thanks for your generosity!
California Wildfires: How can we help? Monetary donations to https://www.calfund.org/wildfire-relief-fund/ go 100% to fire victims.
Gift Giving to those in need: Our Council has decided to offer you two ways to give holiday gifts to those in need. Look for containers in the church entry coming soon.
- To a homeless family who attend Bryan Wake’s school. Stay tuned for specific gifts sought.
- To asylum seekers just released from detention in OC and on their way to host families around the country. From Sheryl at Friends of Orange County Detainees:
“We are always in need of men’s clothing, specifically: Slim fitting jeans. The sizes most in demand are 29 to 34, although we occasionally have a 36, smaller sizes are most needed. Cotton casual slim fitting pants, same sizes as above. T-shirts, small through large, small and medium most in demand. Jackets coats and cold weather gear, all sizes; sweat shirts and hoodies all sizes; athletic and casual shoes all sizes, we are very short on 7.5 to 9; new underwear (not white), boxers and boxer briefs preferred; new socks; small (carryon) suitcases and duffel bags.
It is a great experience when people who have been detained for months or years have a chance to select their own clothing. I tell them all of these items are available because people care about them and welcome them to our country.”
Give us courage, gentle one, to be marked as one of yours.
Give us Wisdom to see through the pretensions to power which human structures parade –
the glamour and the misspent wealth, leaders who will not serve.
Give us clarity of purpose, simplicity and truth,
that the healing and joy of infinite love may come through us to earth. Amen