News and Upcoming Events
- Sunday May 13: Mother’s Day. Scripture: Mark 3:20-35. Theme: “Love Makes a Family”
- Tuesday May 15: Church Council meets at 7pm in the Joshua Tree room.
- May 19-June 8: We cook Interfaith Shelter Network dinner. (The ISN will be hosted in our hall through June 30). Sign up to help with dinner prep, breakfast/lunch supplies, or toiletries/shower supplies, or monetary support. Talk to Ann Marshall or Sharon Everley.
- Sunday May 20: Pentecost Sunday. Scripture: Romans 8:22-25, Mark 4:26-34. Theme: Seeds and Weeds.
- Registration is open for UCC Annual Gathering June 1-2 at Chapman University. Learn, worship and have fun with people from UCC churches throughout SoCal and Nevada. You can register here: https://scncucc.churchcenter.com/registrations/events/128402
- Sunday June 3 after church: “Claiming Our Church’s Future” – The third and last Transition Team event. Learn how changing demographics and church size dynamics affect our church and how we can respond faithfully for the future.
- New church directories are available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a PDF version, or stop by the church office to get a copy.
- The Church Council has voted to begin a Media Lending Library. You are invited to donate books, DVDs, and CD’s that you think others might be interested in. The materials will go on the shelves in the hallway by the kitchen. Thank you for your participation!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading Catherine Keller’s book, On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process. The author offers this brief and unconventional introduction to theological thinking. She takes up theology itself as a quest for religious authenticity. Come join us. We have a great time processing our thoughts together. We will meet at 7:00p.m. on May 23rd to discuss Chapters 4 and 5, and again on June 6th to finish with Chapters 6-8. We meet at the Hill household. Please call or email for directions at 714-693-0261 or email@example.com.
- Bible Study is Thursdays 9:15-10:15am in the church office. Topic is 1-2 Samuel. All are welcome, to discover the intersection of sacred story and modern life with an open mind.
- Tai Chi will be every Thursday in May except the last, May 31st. There will be no June meetings.
- Choir practice on Thursdays at 7:30pm in the music room. We love newcomers! Give us a try.
The A.C.T. (Active Christians Today) Office, at St. Angela Church on Walnut Street, was established in 1972 to help those in need. They are a food pantry, and can sometimes help with utility bills. They are open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9:00 to 1:00. Maria Fulton is the coordinator.
Members, Nancy Roeder and Janine Arp, are frequently found helping to assemble shopping bags of food at A.C.T. Janine and Dennis Arp take our First Food Sunday donations there.
A.C.T. provides bread, bakery, and grocery items, as well as government commodities, to needy families, the homeless, and hungry. Those commodities usually come as attractively packaged canned food, peanut butter, pasta, milk, and other staples.
Some foods are not available in bulk, or there are special needs. These are the foods we are asked to buy in the monthly reminders that Janine provides to us on Facebook, and in our News. They also accept cash!
A.C.T. provides referrals for dental, medical, and legal assistance, while maintaining a cooperative relationship with Brea Community Emergency Council.
A.C.T. welcomes volunteers to help with food stocking, packing, and sorting. This could be a summer activity for high school age youth! If you want to help out, stop by or call Maria at 714-529-1821 x 142.
Creation Care Tip: Drive less. It’s that simple. Maybe you can combine errands.
BCUCC News and Reminders
A weekly publication of Brea Congregational United Church of Christ