Feb. 4, Sun – 10am Worship. Theme: Healing Relationships. Scripture: Mark 1: 29-45. First Food Sunday (bring nonperishable food for the local Food Shelf) and Potluck after church.
Feb. 8, Thurs.Bible Study – We are studying 1st & 2nd Samuel at 9:15am in the church office. All are welcome; no homework or previous knowledge required.
- Feb. 11, Sunday worship honors the power of theater. Our sermon will be a Readers Theater: “How to Install Love”as our sermon, featuring Bonnie Quaas-Berryman and Rose London. Also Community Voices: Guest speaker Craig Tyrl will share his calling to teach and direct theater during worship, and informally during fellowship time. Craig is a member of Irvine United Congregational Church. He teaches theater at CSU Fullerton, and has recently founded a community theater company The Wayward Artist in Santa Ana.
- Feb. 14, Ash Wednesday Serviceat 7:30 pm. A beautiful and meditative time for prayer, song and reflection on remembering, letting go, and claiming hope.
- Feb 15, Thurs – 6:45pmBCUCC Tai Chi Practice
No experience needed; benefits all ages. No special clothing or shoes necessary. Tai Chi is a practice of slow, gentle balance movements that promote good health and peace of mind. We’ll begin February 15th and meet every other Thursday at 6:45 p.m. in the sanctuary. Come join us for this peaceful, centering practice.
- Feb. 18, Sunday– Thank You Reception for Michael Lewis after worship.Michael has accepted a new job that will keep him in Minnesota most of the time. This is his last Sunday before the move. We want to show our appreciation for his inspiring leadership and his caring presence. Please join us!
- Feb. 25– Following Jesus in the 21stCentury: A Learning Conversation. After worship, five Sundays in Lent, 11:20-12:05. Add your voice to a conversation about our calling as individuals and as a church to follow Jesus. What inspires us, what do we believe, and how do we put it into practice? There is no “right answer.” All perspectives welcome. Child care provided by Miss Bernie.
- The Whitehead Film Festivalat Claremont School of Theology will be held February 16-19. Info at: commongoodfilms.org.
- Chapman University Founder’s Day, March 10, 2018. Lectures by Dr. Amy-Jill Levine on Bible, Gender and Sexuality. Details and registration at:https://www.chapman.edu/about/church-relations/founders-day/index.aspxNews
- News from the January 28 Congregational Meeting:1. More details of the transition process were announced, including the charter of the Transition/Transformation Team, and plans for a Pastor Search Committee. The informational handout is in the church entry. 2. Members of the Church Council, our governing body, were elected. We welcome Sharon Bölle as our new Moderator, Doreen Ramsey as member-at-large, Vicki Chik as Financial Secretary, and Esther Garcia for Christian Concern. Our deep appreciation to the 2017 and 2018 Council members for their service!
- The Transition/Transformation Team is now in place and will meet soon. Members are: Shannon Clay, Jim and Karen Hill, Georlyn Igma, Kathryn Kadletz, Ann Marshall, Russ Nowell, and David This. They will help the church clarify who we are, who God is calling us to become, and what kind of leadership we need to move into our future, in preparation for the Pastor search.Ongoing
- TheBCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading, Jesus, Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary by Marcus Borg. “Borg pours a lifetime of scholarship into this provocative overview of Jesus’ life.” Come join our discussion. Email or phone the Hills at email@example.com or 714-693-0261 for directions.
- Choir practiceon Thursdays at 7:30pm in the music room. We love newcomers! Give us a try.
Creation Care Tip: Do you know what can and can’t be recycled? Different cities allow different materials in curbside recycling. Yours can probably be easily found on the Web. Food residue is almost never permitted. Help recycling work by not contaminating your recycled material.
BCUCC News and Reminders
A weekly publication of Brea Congregational United Church of Christ