BCUCC News for Sunday, January 27, 2019
News and Upcoming Events
- Worship Sunday January 27 at 10am. Topic: “Naming and Claiming Your Faith Your Way.” Scripture: Luke 4:14-21.
- Thursday, January 31: Taizé service at 6:30pm in the Hall.
- Sign up for our “Breaking Bread Together” mixers happening in February! Each group of six people will meet weekly over a meal or refreshments to get to know each other and discuss faith and values. Thanks to Jack Bölle for coordinating this opportunity for friendship and community building at our church.
- Help make Sunday wonderful! Sign up to read in worship, bring treats for our fellowship time after worship, or flowers for a special Sunday. See the Kiosk, or send an email to Kimly at email@example.com if you have a date in mind.
Save the dates:
- February 15-18: Common Good Film Festival at Claremont School of Theology. View film from a process relational theology perspective. See http://whiteheadfilmfestival.org for details.
- Saturday March 2, 10am to noon: Teach-in on Racism, led by Mike Rodriguez. (Note date change.)
- Ash Wednesday: March 6. Ash Wednesday special worship at 7:30pm.
- Saturday March 9: Chapman University Founder’s Day. A day of celebration and learning for UCC and Disciples. Learn about the St. John’s Bible. Written on vellum using medieval calligraphic techniques with luminous illustrations, the St. John’s Bible seeks to awaken a biblical passion for social justice and appreciation for art, science, and discovery. Complete information at http://www.chapman.edu/founders-day.
- Saturday, March 16: CCL Climate Education and Clean Energy Fair, 10am-4pm. Speakers from all over California.
- Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary—Stay tuned for February schedule.
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club is reading, In the Shelter, by Padraig O Tuama. There’s an old Irish proverb: ‘It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.’ Interweaving everyday stories with analysis, gospel reflections with mindfulness and Celtic spirituality with poetry, this book explores the practice of welcoming as a spiritual discipline. It is comforting and inspiring. Come join the fun and discussions at 7pm on Wednesday, February 6th for chapters 7-10. We’ll meet at the Hill household. Please email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 714-693-0261 for directions. See you then!
Pastor Search Committee Announcement
Good news from our Pastor Search Committee! After many months of prayerful consideration, the Committee has narrowed the search to a single candidate. As part of the final process, we were privileged to host the candidate and their family over a recent weekend. Committee members heard our candidate preach a sermon at a local UCC church, broke bread, toured the BCUCC campus, and had many in-depth conversations to ensure a mutual fit. We’re not quite there yet, but we are listening intently to God’s creative guidance and are making good progress toward a final recommendation. At the end of this long and thoughtful journey, you’ll be introduced to the candidate and hear them offer a sermon in our pulpit. Members will then be asked to provide final approval. Please continue to pray for wisdom and discernment for our candidate and for our Search Committee.
New Member Joining
Would you like to become a member of Brea Congregational UCC? Please let Pastor Terry or Sharon Bölle know, and we will schedule the upcoming Orientation and Joining at a time that is convenient for all.