News and Upcoming Events
· Saturday, May 4, 6-9pm: May the 4th Dinner and movie showing! Bring your light sabers! Dinner at 6pm, movie begins at 7pm. Please RSVP with Bryan Wake at email@example.com by Friday night, at the latest, for headcount.
· Sunday, May 5: Worship at 10 am. Theme: “Counting Our Blessings”. Scripture: John 21:1-14
· Sunday, May 5: First Food Sunday. Every first Sunday we bring nonperishable food for A.C.T. food shelf in Brea. Cinco De Mayo Potluck! Bring your favorite Mexican dish or something colorful to shareand Q & A on HR763, “Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act.”
· Bible Study is in transition— it’s a great time to join us! No meeting this week.Thursday May 9, we will meet for lunch at 12:30 at D’Vine restaurant, 132 W. Commonwealth, Fullerton. (Park at the train station lot.) On Thurs. May 16 2-3pm, we will begin the book of Jeremiah. No homework; all perspectives and questions welcome.
· Tuesday May 14: BCUCC Lunch Bunch meets at 11:45am, at Coco’s on Imperial near State College Ave. All are welcome to this informal fellowship gathering. RSVP to Pastor Terry so we can save you a spot.
· Sunday, May 19: Brief Congregational Meeting after worship to vote on whether to join other UCC churches in a resolution of witness supporting HR763. For info about this bill, see https://energyinnovationact.org/how-it-works/
· Wednesday May 22, 10am: Recycling Tour at Republic Recycling Facility, 1131 N. Blue Gum St. Meet at the church at 9:40am for carpool. Only 3 parking spaces for visitors, so carpooling is a must! Sign up on Kiosk, or email Sharon Bolle firstname.lastname@example.org .
· Friday and Saturday, June 7-8: UCC Annual Gathering of the Southern California Nevada Conference at Chapman University in Orange. Shannon Clay is a voting delegate for our church; would you like to be our second delegate? Join us for workshops on spirituality, activism, effective church leadership and more. Make connections with other progressive Christians throughout our region.
· Pilgrim Pines Summer Camp is taking registrations now. Weeklong camps for children grades 1-12 run from July 7 to August 3. (Special adult/child (ages 3-7) camp July 7-10.) See pilgrimpinescamp.org/summer-camp/for complete information.
Save the Dates- Let Pastor Terry know if you are interested in coordinating a BCC team!
· June 1: AIDS Walk OC
· June 22: OC Pride march and celebration
· Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary. Check with Karen Hill which Thursdays. Next dates: May 23rd and 30th.
• The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading, Making a Way Out of No Way, by Monica A. Coleman. Coleman articulates the African American expression of “making a way out of no way” in today’s context of globalization, religious pluralism, and sexual diversity. Drawing on womanist religious scholarship and process thought, Coleman describes the symbiotic relationship between God and humanity that helps to change the world into the just society it ought to be. Come join the discussion on Wednesday, May 15 at 7:00 p.m. at the Hill household. Please email or phone Jim or Karen for directions at email@example.com or 714-693-0261. See you then.
· No choir practice in the coming weeks. Will resume on May 16th, but will sing on May 12th. Come rehearse on Sunday morning at 9am on May 12th!
· Videos of sermons (and often anthems) can be found on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/56642580963/videos/. Print versions of sermons are at: https://justshine1.blogspot.com