http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png 0 0 Brea Congregational UCC http://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png Brea Congregational UCC2019-03-07 21:27:582019-03-07 21:27:58BCUCC News for Sunday, March 10, 2019
News and Upcoming Events
- **Daylight Savings Time starts March 10. Spring forward, rise early, and join us for Worship at 10am. Our First Sunday of Lent. Our Lent theme is “Cultivating.” This week: “Cultivating: Rooted in God.” Scripture: Psalm 65.
- Sun. March 10, 11:30 am. Art & Soul. Wire wrap shamrock jewelry in time for St. Patrick’s Day! Janine Arp shares her expertise with us. Community members and friends welcome too.
- Sat. March 16: CCL Sustainability Fair, 10am-4pm. be sure to join us and invite your friends and neighbors. Speakers from all over California at BCUCC!
- Sun. March 17 at 11:30 in the Church Office: An Experience of Contemplative Silence. Sample a short (30 min.) experiential introduction to a Christian form of meditation developed by Thomas Keating. Get refreshed and renewed. You are NOT too busy for this! Joe Conti, Ph.D., author of Holistic Christianity (Paragon Press, 2007) and instructor in the Religious Studies Department at CSUF, will facilitate a guided meditation to interior silence. This discovery of this silence has changed lives, expanded spiritual horizons. Many experience it as a breakthrough to the “Inner Christ”— an indelible discovery of the oneness of the soul and God.
“The most powerful prayer….is the outcome of a quiet mind. The quieter the mind, the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling and more perfect the prayer is. To the quiet mind all things are possible.” ~ Meister Eckhart
- Sunday, March 31: One Great Hour of Sharing. OGHS donations go to Church World Service for emergency relief and humanitarian projects all over the world. We in the UCC join other mainline churches to support this charity that is known for rapid emergency response, very low overhead, and respect and empowerment of the people it serves.
- Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary – next sessions 3/14, 3/28.
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be discussing, “The Cross and the Lynching Tree,” by James H. Cone, on Wednesday, March 13th at 7:00pm at the Hill household. Mr. Cone writes about the complicity of Christians in the evil, yet common, practice of murdering African Americans as a means of social and political control. As he discusses the contemporaneous and historical racism in America, he helps us confront the dark truths of our past so that we can create a future that is brighter for all people. Come join the discussion. Email or phone Jim and Karen Hill for directions at email@example.com or 714-693-0261.
- Compassionate Communication consults available. Do you have a situation where you’re not sure how to express yourself compassionately and be heard? Trying to work through a difficult relationship and stay connected? Contact Pastor Terry to schedule a conversation/consult in person or by phone. (Classes are dark for March and April.)
- Request your electronic copy of our updated Church Directory (and automatically receive future directories) by signing up on the clipboard in the Hall or emailing Kimly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask Terry for a paper copy if you need it.
Is your birthday on our list? If not, please let Kimly know by email or phone, and she’ll add it.