News and Upcoming Events
· Sat. March 16: CCL Sustainability Fair, 10am-5pm. Be sure to join us and invite your friends and neighbors. Speakers from all over California at BCUCC!
· Sun. March 17: Worship at 10am. Second Sunday of Lent. Our Lent theme is “Cultivating.” This week: “Cultivating Trust.” Scripture: Luke 12:22-32.
· Sun. March 17 at 11:30 in the Church Office: An Experience of Contemplative Silence. Sample a short (30 min.) experiential introduction to a Christian form of meditation developed by Thomas Keating. Get refreshed and renewed. You are NOT too busy for this! Joe Conti, Ph.D., author of Holistic Christianity (Paragon Press, 2007) and instructor in the Religious Studies Department at CSUF, will facilitate a guided meditation to interior silence. This discovery of this silence has changed lives, expanded spiritual horizons. Many experience it as a breakthrough to the “Inner Christ”— an indelible discovery of the oneness of the soul and God.
“The most powerful prayer….is the outcome of a quiet mind. The quieter the mind, the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling and more perfect the prayer is. To the quiet mind all things are possible.” ~ Meister Eckhart
· Sunday, March 24: Hawaiian Children’s Chorus in worship. The Keiki Choir from Kamehameha Schools, 45 3-5th graders, will grace our worship with songs in Hawaiian and English. We will take a group photo with them and our new Creation Justice banner after worship.
· Sunday, March 31: One Great Hour of Sharing. OGHS donations go to Church World Service for emergency relief and humanitarian projects all over the world. We in the UCC join other mainline churches to support this charity that is known for rapid emergency response, very low overhead, and respect and empowerment of the people it serves.
· Save the date: special Good Friday worship April 19, 7:30 pm.
· Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary – next session 3/28.
· Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
· Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
· The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading, Making a Way Out of No Way, by Monica A. Coleman. Coleman articulates the African American expression of “making a way out of no way” in today’s context of globalization, religious pluralism, and sexual diversity. Drawing on womanist religious scholarship and process thought, Coleman describes the symbiotic relationship between God and humanity that helps to change the world into the just society it ought to be. Come join the discussion on Wednesday, April 10 at 7:00 p.m. at the Hill household. Please email or phone Jim or Karen for directions at email@example.com or 714-693-0261. See you then.
· Request your electronic copy of our updated Church Directory (and automatically receive future directories) by signing up on the clipboard in the Hall or emailing Kimly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask Terry for a paper copy if you need it.
Is your birthday on our list? If not, please let Kimly know by email or phone, and she’ll add it.
Walk around feeling like a leaf.
Know you could tumble any second.
Then decide what to do with your time.
-John O’Donohue, Walking in Wonder