News and Upcoming Events
· Sunday, March 24: Worship at 10am features Hawaiian Children’s Chorus . The Keiki Choir from Kamehameha Schools, 45 3-5th graders, will grace our worship with songs in Hawaiian and English. Worship theme: “Ways to Pray.” Scripture: John 7:37-39, Luke 11:9-13.
· Sunday, March 31: One Great Hour of Sharing. OGHS donations go to Church World Service for emergency relief and humanitarian projects all over the world. We in the UCC join other mainline churches to support this charity that is known for rapid emergency response, very low overhead, and respect and empowerment of the people it serves.
· Sunday April 7: Celebration of Becoming a Creation Justice Church. Themed potluck: “Going Green!” Bring dishes with the color green in them. All-church photo with our new Creation Justice Banner, and celebration of stepson our green journey. (And collection of nonperishable food for First Food Sunday, of course!
· Sunday April 14 : Palm Sunday, and Rededication of our Native Garden. Thanks to those who helped refresh our Native Garden in the past few months! We will have a short liturgy.
· Save the date: special Good Friday worship April 19, 7:30 pm.
· Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary – next session 3/28.
· Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
· Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
· The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be reading, Making a Way Out of No Way, by Monica A. Coleman. Coleman articulates the African American expression of “making a way out of no way” in today’s context of globalization, religious pluralism, and sexual diversity. Drawing on womanist religious scholarship and process thought, Coleman describes the symbiotic relationship between God and humanity that helps to change the world into the just society it ought to be. Come join the discussion on Wednesday, April 10 at 7:00 p.m. at the Hill household. Please email or phone Jim or Karen for directions at email@example.com or 714-693-0261. See you then.
· Request your electronic copy of our updated Church Directory (and automatically receive future directories) by signing up on the clipboard in the Hall or emailing Kimly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask Terry for a paper copy if you need it.
· Is your birthday on our list? If not, please let Kimly know by email or phone, and she’ll add it.
· Our California Native garden will be part of “California in My Garden”, the OC California Native Plant Society garden tour, Saturday April 13, 10-4. To register for this free garden tour and receive the guide by mail, see occnps.org.
Our church is discussing a resolution to the UCC General Synod in support of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, HR763. This is a game-changer. Let’s learn about it now so we know what we are being asked to support. Here’s some info:
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness;
for we do not know how to pray as we ought,
but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.
– Romans 8:26