News and Upcoming Events
- Sunday Dec. 23. Worship 10am. Fourth Sunday of Advent. Theme: “Leap of Faith” Bible Reading: Luke 3:7-18.
- Sunday Dec. 23, after worship: Christmas Cookie Exchange! Bring a dozen or more of your specialty and take a dozen of other varieties home with you. Bring a container!
- Sunday Dec. 23, 4-6 pm The YAYA’s invite you to go caroling, followed by cocoa and treats at the church. We will carpool to some nearby locations. If you can’t sing, just smile and bring good cheer.
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at 7:30pm. Singing carols and lighting candles… what a great time to invite family and friends! See you there.
- The office will be closed from Dec. 25 through Jan. 2. We will periodically check messages—anything urgent please text or phone Pastor Terry.
- Sunday Dec. 30, 10am: Special Worship Service in the Hall led by Michael Lewis.
- Tai Chi is Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary, January 3, 17 and 24.
- Sunday January 6: Brief Congregational Meeting 11 am (after worship.) First Food Sunday and Potluck.
- Wednesday January 9, 2-4 pm: Art and Soul. Janine Arp will have another fun craft activity for us: stay tuned!
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. We will resume after the holidays January 3. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will begin reading a new book, In the Shelter, by Padraig O Tuama. There’s an old Irish proverb: ‘It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.’ Interweaving everyday stories with analysis, gospel reflections with mindfulness and Celtic spirituality with poetry, this book explores the practice of welcoming as a spiritual discipline. It is comforting and inspiring. Come join the fun and discussions at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, January 9th for chapters 1-3, January 23rd for chapters 4-6, and February 6th for chapters 7-10. We’ll meet at the Hill household. Please email at email@example.com or call 714-693-0261 for directions. See you then!
An update from our Pastor Search Committee:
As you know, the group has been actively reviewing candidates for several months. Many applicant profiles have been carefully considered and several candidates have been interviewed, a few multiple times. We are pleased to announce that our search has been narrowed to one preferred candidate. A few final evaluation steps are now underway, and we hope to complete the process in January. At the end of this thoughtful journey, the candidate will visit our church, will be introduced to the congregation through a sermon, and members will be asked to provide final approval. Between now and then, we ask for your continued prayers for wisdom and discernment within our Search Committee.
At the Jan. 6 Congregational meeting, we will vote to become a UCC Creation Justice Church. Your Church Council proposes we adopt this Creation Justice Covenant:
We, the members of Brea Congregational United Church of Christ
- Embrace our responsibility to be good stewards of God’s earth
- We feel God’s presence in nature
- We strive to treat the environment with respect; to preserve it for generations to come.
- We believe this is fundamentally Christian, and that we are called to care for one another and for all of Gods creation.
- We recognize that those negatively affected by environmental degradation and an unstable climate are often those least able to cope and who need support.
- We will work to do our part, with God’s help.
We don’t see things the way they are, we see things the way we are.