https://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png 0 0 Brea Congregational UCC https://breaucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/brea-main-logo.png Brea Congregational UCC2018-12-27 17:48:532018-12-27 17:48:53BCUCC News for Sunday, Dec 30, 2018
News and Upcoming Events
- The Reverend Michael Lewis is planning a special family worship and communion service for this Sunday in the Fellowship Hall based on the theme “Turn, Turn, Turn.” During this time of the year around the winter solstice, we are in the thin, liminal space between light and dark, which coincides with our observance of Jesus’s coming into the world, bringing new light and new things into our lives. We are in the process of reinventing ourselves, our congregation, and the institutions of our nation. Our worship on Sunday will be centered on the symbol of bowls, as they represent the place where turning and mixing and reinventing can happen. In some ways, our church life and our relationship with God can serve as these vessels for reinvention and transformation. Congregants are invited to bring bowls to church that are special to them in any way to be added to Sunday’s worship center. Anyone who likes may make a short statement on why this symbol or artifact is meaningful to them. We’re looking forward to seeing you on Sunday as we reflect on our journey together to turn, turn, turn.
- The office will be closed from Dec. 25 through Jan. 2. We will periodically check messages—anything urgent please text or phone Pastor Terry.
- Tai Chi is Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary, January 3, 17 and 24.
- Sunday January 6: Brief Congregational Meeting 11 am (after worship.) First Food Sunday and Potluck.
- Wednesday January 9, 2-4 pm: Art and Soul. Janine Arp will have another fun craft activity for us: stay tuned!
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. We will resume after the holidays January 3. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will begin reading a new book, In the Shelter, by Padraig O Tuama. There’s an old Irish proverb: ‘It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.’ Interweaving everyday stories with analysis, gospel reflections with mindfulness and Celtic spirituality with poetry, this book explores the practice of welcoming as a spiritual discipline. It is comforting and inspiring. Come join the fun and discussions at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, January 9th for chapters 1-3, January 23rd for chapters 4-6, and February 6th for chapters 7-10. We’ll meet at the Hill household. Please email at email@example.com or call 714-693-0261 for directions. See you then!