News and Upcoming Events
- Worship February 17 at 10am. Topic: “Mind the Gap (The Other Beatitudes).” Scripture: Luke 6:17-26.
- Tuesday February 19: Church Council meeting at 7 PM in Joshua Tree room.
- Sign up for our “Breaking Bread Together” mixers happening in March! Each group of six people will meet weekly over a meal or refreshments to get to know each other and discuss faith and values. Sign up with Jack or Sharon Bölle. Thanks to Jack Bölle for coordinating this opportunity for friendship and community building at our church.
- Have you signed up for a Sunday Morning task? Contribute to our community and have an excuse to join us. Be a liturgist, bring flowers, or host snacks. Email Kimly at email@example.com or visit the Kiosk.
- It’s official! We are a UCC Creation Justice church. Thanks to all who are contributing and have contributed to our earth justice work, in large ways and small. Thanks to our Moderator Sharon Bölle for taking the lead on making us official. Thanks to all who are witnessing to God’s love for our planet. That’s Good News our community needs to hear!
Save the dates:
- February 22-24: Hillcrest Festival of Fine Arts, free admission, hosted by our neighbor UCC church. https://www.hillcrestfestivaloffinearts.com. We have committed to help staff this event with 2-hour shifts: see Shannon Clay for more info.
- Tuesday, February 26: Everyday Peacemaking: Compassionate Communication. Explore tools for building connection while addressing challenging topics. We will use real life examples– bring yours! 10-11:30 am and 7-8:30 pm in the Church Office.
- Saturday March 2, 10am to noon: Teach-in on Racism, led by Mike Rodriguez. (Note date change.)
- March 6. Ash Wednesday special worship at 7:30pm.
- Saturday March 9: Chapman University Founder’s Day. A day of celebration and learning for UCC and Disciples. Learn about the St. John’s Bible. Written on vellum using medieval calligraphic techniques with luminous illustrations, the St. John’s Bible seeks to awaken a biblical passion for social justice and appreciation for art, science, and discovery. Complete information at http://www.chapman.edu/founders-day.
- Saturday, March 16: CCL Climate Education and Clean Energy Fair, 10am-4pm. Speakers from all over California.
- Tai Chi Thursdays at 6:30pm in the Sanctuary on Feb. 21 and 28.
- Bible Study is on Thursdays at 2-3pm. Join us in the pastor’s office; you are always welcome. We are studying the Gospel of John. Lively discussion about what scripture means to us today. No homework!
- Choir practice Thursdays at 7:30pm. Like to sing but not sure you’re ready for prime time? Jessica Cosley is a fabulous teacher and our choir is a great place to grow musically. Join us!
- The BCUCC Theological Book Club will be discussing, “The Cross and the Lynching Tree,” by James H. Cone, on Wednesday, February 27th at 7:00pm at the Hill household. Mr. Cone writes about the complicity of Christians in the evil, yet common, practice of murdering African Americans as a means of social and political control. As he discusses the contemporaneous and historical racism in America, he helps us confront the dark truths of our past so that we can create a future that is brighter for all people. Come join the discussion. Email or phone Jim and Karen Hill for directions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714-693-0261. See you then.
“James Cone demonstrates why he is indispensable as an interpreter of faith, race, and the American experience.” Bill Moyers
UCC Daily Devotional
Want a bit of scripture and spiritual reflection that is relevant and open-minded? Subscribe to the UCC Daily Devotional at http://www.ucc.org/daily_devotional